(Last Updated: November 2014 | to be updated soon)
Wonderware user guide for setting up an application object server (AOS)If there is one thing that Wonderware are not good at, it is supplying its customers with a guideline to setup a server for use with their software. Many times did the user assume a default server setup only to realize the software is not working correctly afterwards. This article is a guide to assist the user in setting up a complete AOS from scratch. The article is written with regards to Wonderware "Archestra System Platform 2012 with InTouch 2012" release 1 (prior to R2) and with regards to setup a Dell Server prior to the software installation.
What you will need prior to starting:
- 1. General Windows administrator knowledge
- 2. The server (obviously), preferably a Dell, like Dell R720 or similar. Screen, keyboard, mouse etc.
- 3. "Dell OpenManage System Management Tools and Documentation" DVD, in my case it was version 7.3.0.
- 4. Dell Operating System DVD, "Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard" or "Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1".
- 5. The Wonderware installation DVD "Archestra System Platform 2012 with InTouch 2012" release 1 was used for this guide.
- 6. The supplied Microsoft SQL Server 2008 DVDs.
Install the Windows 2008 Server R2 Operating System on the Dell Server.
- 1. Insert Dell Systems management DVD to configure the setup of a new O/S installation.
- 1.1. Select the Server 2008 64 bit SP2 version.
- 2. Use the Dell Windows Server 2008 R2 STandard DVD to setup the 64 bit version of the operating system.
- 3. Set the Regional settings to English (south Africa) while leaving the keyboard layout on US.
- 4. Set the Time Zone as +2 Harare, Pretoria.
- 5. Make sure that the date/time settings is setup for:
- 5.1. short date: yyy/mm/dd
- 5.2. long date: dd MMMM yyyy
- 5.3. short time: HH:mm tt
- 5.4. long time: HH:mm:ss tt
- 1. Configure the IP Address of the server. (Remember to document all IP Addresses to the Master IP Address List)
- 2. Configure the server name using the company naming standard. (i.e. KDCE01SCAOS01GL) (Remember to document the server name and details to the Device master list)
- 3. Change the network type from Public to Work/Private. Note that you cannot click on the network type to change it if it is an unidentified network. Thus if you set this up, first set your IP Address to DHCP, the DNS will give you the correct IP Address then set it to private. Remember to set the IP Address back to what it was.
- 4. Setup the Internet Explorer Proxy settings if you require a Proxy address for Internet connection.
- 5. Add local administrator users as per company standard.
- 6. Add domain network administrators as per company standard.
- 7. Join the server to the local domain (ie. ABCDOMAIN.local) using a domain user with network administrator rights.
- 8. Configure remote desktop connections for server management.
- 8.1. Under "Initial Configuration Tasks" select "Enable Remote Desktop", select "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop", a popup will appear, read it and click on "OK". Click "Apply" then click "OK".
- OR Right click on "Computer" select "Properties" click on "Advanced System Settings" in the left pane, click on the "Remote" tab, select "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop", a popup will appear, read it and click on "OK". Click "Apply" then click "OK".
- 8.2. Add the additional network users that require remote desktop access.
- 9. Disable User Access Control (UAC).
- 9.1. Click on "Start" then "Control Panel" then "System and Security" then under Action Center click on "Change User Control settings" then drag the slider all the way down to "Never notify" then click on "OK".
- 9.2. Restart the server.
- 10. Turn on Network discovery and file sharing.
Configure Windows Server 2008 for use with Wonderware System Platform
- 1. Activate Windows over the Internet.
- 2. Keep automatic Updates off.
- 3. Setup Windows to automatically logon.
Optional Extra items to configure on Windows Server 2008
- 1. Add the "My Computer" shortcut on the desktop.
- 2. Pin the server management, Notepad, command prompt, file explorer, control panel and other useful software shortcuts to the Taskbar.
- 3. Configure the folder view to list as details, show hidden files and un-check "hide file extensions for known file types".
- 4. Setup all notification icons to always show on the Taskbar notification area, setup the network adapter to always show on the task bar notification area.
Install and configure antivirusInstall your favourite anti virus on the server. Make sure to configure and note the following points:
- 1. Make sure your antivirus is compatible with Wonderware software.
- 2. Configure an update server.
- 3. Add Wonderware file exclusions.
- 4. Add Wonderware scan exclusions.
Install Microsoft SQL server 2008 32 bit with Service Pack 1
- 1. Do as in the document: "Preparing Windows Server 2008 R2"
- 1.1. Under Server Features, install .NET 3.5 SP1
- 1.2. Install MS SQL 2008 32 bit. It is important to setup SQL exactly as in this document.
- 1.3. Install MS SQL 2008 Service Pack 1 x86
Install Archestra System Platform 2012 with Intouch 2012 release 1
- 1. Insert and open the DVD labelled "Archestra Systsem Platform 2012 with InTouch 2012" (release 1).
- 2. Run the setup.exe file in the DVD root directory.
- 3. Close all server manager consoles (and any other software using mmc).
- 4. Select the roles option.
- 5. Go through all the setup screens reviewing them until you reach the network user setup screen.
- 6. On the network user name screen, add the correct wonderware network username and password along with the domain name.
- 7. Install all prerequisites.
- 8. Next and install.
- 9. Restart the server.
Install device integration servers
- 1. From the same package that contained the DVD labelled "Archestra System Platform 2012 with InTouch 2012" take the DVD labelled "Device Integration". It is very important to use the same versions of wonderware Intouch, Application Server and Device Integration. To prevent errors, rather don't mix the versions.
- 2. Install all relevant drivers for the equipment that you use.
- 3. Configure the topics in the IO Drivers as per the application.
Install Wonderware Licenses
- 1. Install a Platform license
- 2. Install the Device Integration license
- 3. Install a View License if one is required
The server is now ready for deployment.